I love the taste and crunch of a really good French fry, do you? These days I tried to save fried foods as a special treat and have been figuring out “fake outs” – ways to give me the taste and satisfaction of fried without the mess, oil and extra calories. These Baked Zucchini Parmesan Fries fake-outs satisfy my craving for fries but without the calories or guilt. This is a good way to get veggies into kids without making it a big ordeal.
This “fake-out” technique can be used with other veggies too – sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. – just adjust baking time depending upon water content of the vegetable you choose.
In the development of this recipe I tried a few variation like coating the zucchini in oil but found the egg white allowed more coating to stick giving me a crispier coating. I also tried cutting the zucchini in 1/8″ rounds too. This worked well and were actually a bit crispier, but I opted for the French-Fry-Fake-Out version. ~ML
- 2 medium zucchini (about ¾ lb)
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- ½ cup panko or plain bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Arrange an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and a second one in the center.Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheets. Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut into thick French-fry-size sticks, about 3 inches long.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese and seasoning in a shallow dish
- Dip the zucchini in egg, then roll in bread crumb mixture and place in a single layer on baking sheet without crowding
- Bake 15 minutes and turn zucchini with tongs and continue to bake until panko coating is golden and crisp, about 7 minutes more.
- Serve with a side of your favorite marinara for dipping